One of the most enjoyable and fun activities you can try in Colorado is camping. Denver and its immediate vicinity have some great camping spots on 70 miles away. You can explore these for its picturesque landscapes or for an amazing outdoor experience. Here are a few you should definitely try –
(Must Try) Cater Lake Camping – Carter Lake is located in the foothills west of Loveland at an elevation of 5,760 feet. It is a part of the Colorado-Big Thompson Project. This campground is amazing, camping next to a lake is more like a vacation, plus you can rent a boat to make it a party.
- Moraine Park Campground – The Moraine Park Campground at the Rocky Mountain National Park is a great place to start things off. Easily accessible from the road, the location has an amazing backcountry feel to it. The meadow is teeming with coyotes, mule deer and elks. Take the Club Lake Trail and you reach one of the most scenic locations in the area, where a lily pad covered lake is the central attraction.
Estes Park, CO 80517 • Phone: 970-586-1206
- Pinyon Flats Campground – A fun camping place is the Pinyon Flats Campground at the Great Sand Dunes National Park. The sight of enormous sand dunes, often up to 750 feet in height, being eclipsed by the high peaks and terrain of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains is surely one to remember. Visit during the May runoff, and the place almost becomes a water park.
Mosca, CO 81146 • Phone: 719-378-6395
- Big Creek Lakes Campground – At the Big Creek Lakes Campground in the Routt National Forest, you can take in the stunning sights of sparkling blue lakes and high, pointy mountain peaks, all at a height of about 9000 feet. The Seven Lakes Trail is a moderate hike, and brings you to the stunning Big Creek Falls.
Walden, CO 80480 • Phone: 877-444-6777
- Turquoise Lake Recreation Area – Still higher up at over 10,000 feet is the Turquoise Lake Recreation Area at the San Isabel National Forest. The centerpiece is a visually enticing 1,800 acre lake. You can opt to explore the Mineral Belt Trail loop by bike.
2015 North Poplar, Leadville, CO 80461 • Phone: 719-486-0749
- Granite Tent Campground – Right next to the flowing Taylor River is the Granite Tent Campground at Gunnison National Forest. A great fishing location where the sound of the river brings sound sleep, this location is also a paradise for trout fishers.
Rcr 310, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487
Get more in like this by joining our newsletter[wysija_form id=”1"]